The Melbourne Police Department is dedicated to the citizens of Melbourne and their quality of life. Department personnel work closely with business partners, neighborhood watch groups and community leaders in an effort to reach mutual goals and foster a strong, committed partnership.
Melbourne Police Department Headquarters
650 N. Apollo Blvd.
Melbourne, FL 32935-5066
Communications and Criminal Investigations Divisions (CCID)
701 S. Babcock St.
Melbourne, FL 32901-1461
Tips for avoiding scams, ID theft, and credit card fraud (volume 2):
6. If shopping online, look at the website address. Does it start with https? The "s" is a hint that the website is secured. Not a guarantee, but definitely a first line of defense when making sure you are being careful while purchasing online.
7. Don't throw away your ATM receipts in a public place where someone can determine if you are a worthwhile "target". Although my $2.34 balance is not worthy a badguy's effort, your $1,200 might be!
8. Another online buying tip is buy from well reviewed, well referred sellers. But keep in mind reviews can be false, so keep your guard up.
9. When someone calls or emails you for personal information, don't take the bait!! Someone you do not know does not need your social security number or driver license number, they do not need any PIN related information, or security passwords. Just keep that stuff to yourself. Or do what I do, make it up as you go along. ;-)
10. Act now and you win!! <-- these things right here? Ya, they don't exist. Don't get caught in a random phone call that requires you to give up personal information immediately. The idea is to get you not think about what you are doing and therefore let your guard down. Don't do it! Or do what I do, make up information!! Haha!!
Stay tuned for more advice at keeping the holidays financially safe!!