The City of Melbourne is offering a limited toilet retrofit rebate program on a first-come, first-served basis. Rebates are available until budgeted rebate funds are depleted or until September 30, 2020, whichever comes first. The number of rebates available each fiscal year depends on that year’s budgeted funding level. This program is being offered as a means to reduce the amount of water used by consumers from older model toilets.
By replacing existing toilets put into use prior to 1994 with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense rated high-efficiency toilets (HETs) a significant reduction in water usage can be achieved. This reduction in water use translates into cost savings for water consumers. Long-term effects include a reduction in the cost of water and wastewater treatment and increased effective capacity for treatment facilities.
One $50 rebate is provided per Melbourne water customer for changing out a pre-1994 toilet with a new WaterSense certified HET (flush rate of 1.28 gallons or less).
Toilet Rebate Eligibility and Requirements
The following conditions must be met in order to receive your rebate:
- To be eligible for a rebate, you must be a City of Melbourne residential water customer, with an account in your name that is in good standing. Any applicant with a past due balance of more than 30 days will have the rebate amount applied to their past due utility balance. The program is for residential customers only. Commercial requests are not eligible.
- Only one rebate will be provided per account and/or per address throughout the duration of the City’s Toilet Rebate Program. The owner of the property must live at the property to which the rebate is requested.
- During the 2019/2020 fiscal year, the original sales receipt must be dated no earlier than October 1, 2019. All rebates are subject to the availability of funds. Rebates will be processed in the order they are received and are on a first-come, first-served basis. Once funds are depleted, rebates are no longer available for the fiscal year and any unfunded applications will be returned to the applicant.
- Customers must purchase and install an EPA WaterSense certified HET. A new toilet consists of both the tank and the bowl. The customer must complete a rebate application form and mail it to the Environmental Community Outreach (ECO) Division. The application must also include the customer’s original sales receipt, which must have a separate listing for the toilet and include the manufacturer and model, and the UPC bar code from the box which includes model information.
- Rebate application packets are available by calling the ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete rebate application and supporting documentation must be submitted to:
City of Melbourne
Toilet Rebate Program
2885 Harper Road
Melbourne, FL 32904
- It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure proper installation. The City recommends that installation be performed by a qualified plumber.
- Eligible participants will be mailed a check. If the purchase price, not including tax, is less than the rebate amount, the rebate will be for the purchase price amount only. The purchase price is calculated for the tank and the bowl only and does not include installation, accessories or other related items.
- Homes for which a building permit was applied on January 1, 1994, or after, and those with building permits for remodeling, are already required to have water efficient toilets by the City Plumbing Code. Toilets purchased after this date to replace old fixtures are already upgraded to water efficient toilets. Thus, any toilets newer than January 1, 1994, are not eligible for a rebate.
- By participating in the Melbourne Toilet retrofit Rebate Program, the customer agrees to an installation verification visit if one is scheduled by the ECO Manager or designee, and may be asked to respond to a follow-up survey conducted by City of Melbourne staff.
The date of manufacture is often stamped into the porcelain on the underside of the tank lid or the inside edge of the tank. Rebates are not for new construction and/or room additions.