All recycling materials will be collected on Wednesdays.
Please keep lid of recycling container closed at all times. Rain that gets on paper products makes them un-recyclable.
Recycling is single-stream, which means that items do not need to be sorted. The co-mingled recycling items will be transported to a materials recovery facility for sorting and transporting to various markets.
The cart with the yellow lid is to be used for recycling only.
The following items may be placed in your recycling cart for curbside pick-up:
- Greeting cards
- Colored construction paper
- Milk, juice and other drink boxes
- Paper towel and toilet tissue cardboard rolls
- Paperback books
- Phone books
- Paper bags
- Envelopes (including those with windows)
- Junk mail
- Paperboard boxes (flatten)
- Corrugated cardboard boxes (broken down). If you have a large quantity of cardboard boxes, that when broken down will not fit in your recycling cart, break them down and put them on top of your recycling inside the lid. If there is too large a quantity, please call Waste Management at (321) 723-4455 or the City's ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 to schedule a special pickup.
- Milk and juice cartons
- Bottles, jugs and tubs with lids on (rinsed)
- Yogurt containers with lids (rinsed)
- Do not include bottles that contained automotive products, pool chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers or any other household hazardous waste.
- Do not place plastic bags in your recycling cart. Many grocery and other retail stores accept plastic bags for recycling.
- Do not include any polystyrene, such as Styrofoam products. Publix accepts all polystyrene for recycling.
Any color bottles and jars (lids removed). Lightly rinse glass jars and bottles. Do not include window glass, ceramic cups or dishes, light bulbs, mirrors or broken glass.
Aluminum, Tin and Steel Cans
Lightly rinse beverage and food cans. Empty aerosol cans are accepted. Clean aluminum foil and disposable aluminum pans can also be placed in your recycling cart.
Recycling Don’t’sDo not place the following items in your recycling cart (they can be placed in the garbage cart or, in some cases, deposited at a facility that accepts them):
- Pizza boxes, paper towels, napkins
- Anything with food residue
- Plastic bags, baggies, wrap, or bubble wrap
- Plastic packaging
- Plastic clam shell containers (fruits, vegetables, baked goods, batteries, etc.)
- Paper cups
- Polystyrene (such as Styrofoam) food containers and packing materials
- Boxes and bags with aluminum coating (e.g., Goldfish Crackers)
- Ceramic bowls and mugs
- Window and mirror glass
- Tires, rubber hoses, and tubing
- Rope and ratchet straps
- Propane tanks
- Paint cans
- Empty motor oil containers
- Clothing and hangers
- Fishing line
- Cassette & video tapes
- DVD cases
- Shredded paper
- Containers with multiple materials (e.g., plastic top, cardboard cylinder and metal bottom)
- Metal car parts of any kind/wire racks
- Oxygen tubes/medical waste; syringes
- Concrete or cinder blocks
- Construction waste — wood waste and/or ballets
- Wet paper or cardboard
- Christmas lights
For More Information
- For service needs or questions, contact Waste Management at (321) 723-4455 or send e-mail to email@example.com.
- You can also call the City of Melbourne's ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you live outside of Melbourne, contact your local government or the company that provides collection services.