The City of Melbourne is celebrating this year’s 50th anniversary of Earth Day. Fun activities are available for kids and adults that include:
Earth Week Theme of the Day Contest
From April 20 - 23 there will be a different sustainability theme each day posted on the City’s Facebook page. Viewers can comment on what they do to champion that day’s environmental theme and be entered into a drawing for a board game that correlates. Themes will be water conservation, energy conservation, recycling and litter impact, and saving the planet.
Flat Stanley’s Environmental Adventures
Join Flat Stanley in celebrating the 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
Design your own Flat Stanley (no age restrictions) and take pictures of him doing 10 different earth-friendly activities during the month of April (see below for ideas). Submit your pictures by April 24 to 2885 Harper Road, Melbourne, FL 32904 or e-mail them to FlatStanley@mlbfl.org. You will receive an Earth Day prize pack for participating in the Flat Stanley contest. Check out our Facebook page for examples and more information.
Flat Stanley Activity Ideas:
Here are some ideas of things you can do with your Flat Stanley. Be creative and look around your home and yard for other ways you and Flat Stanley can show your love of the Earth.
- Collect rain to water plants
- Turn the sink off while brushing your teeth
- Take a picture of some wildlife
- Wash your car in the yard or at a commercial car wash instead of on the street/driveway
- Use an automatic shut-off nozzle on your hose
- Only rain down a storm drain
- Don’t litter
- Pick up some litter
- Have a meatless meal
- Recycle correctly (no plastic films in the recycling cart)
- Use LEDs for household lighting
- Pick up pet waste from the yard
- Turn out lights when you leave the room
- Use natural sunlight to light a room
- Don’t use a single-use straw
- Use a reusable water bottle instead of bottled water
- Run your dishwasher with a full load
- Run your washing machine with a full load
- Ride your bike, roller blade
- Enjoy nature
- Compost food scraps
- Reuse or repurpose items around the house to make something new