Pedestrians also have a role in preventing accidents. Follow these tips to stay safe:
- Obey all traffic signals and signs.
- Do not walk in the roadway if there is a sidewalk.
- If there is no sidewalk, pedestrians may walk on the shoulder of the LEFT side of the road, facing traffic.
- Cross in marked crosswalks if available.
- If you cross the road where there is no crosswalk, you must yield the right of way to the vehicles in the roadway.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing.
- Do not walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is too close for the driver to stop or yield. For example, it takes a car going 35mph 200 feet to stop.
- Cross roadway at a right angle by the shortest route possible. Do not cross the road diagonally unless in a marked crosswalk.
- Be visible. Wear bright colors and reflective accessories, such as belts, clothes, wristbands and shoes.