The Melbourne Police Department is committed to hiring only the best! We actively seek individuals who want a challenging career in a professional environment. Please contact Officer Chapman at 321-608-6321 or e-mail Recruiter@mlbfl.org for more information.
Veterans Preference Organization
The Department is an “Approved for Veteran’s Training” agency. This means that probationary police officers who are qualifying veterans and were Florida LEO certified after January 11, 2007, may be eligible for additional monthly benefits. The “Montgomery GI Bill” supports this on-the-job training benefit. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or call 888-442-4551.
The Melbourne Police Department offers a salary competitive with other local law enforcement agencies. The current starting salary for Patrol Officers is $41,003 per year with a top salary range of approximately $62,469. The city also provides a 4% shift differential pay for officers assigned to evening and midnight shifts as well as incentive pay for specialty teams. Certified law enforcement officers from any state may be eligible for a higher starting pay based on your level of experience. Qualified candidates may be eligible for a hiring incentive bonus to help with relocation to Brevard County. For details, please call our recruiter Officer Chapman at 321-608-6321 or e-mail Recruiter@mlbfl.org.
The Department provides several lateral transfer opportunities within in the agency. These include:
- School Resource Officer
- Community Resource Officer
- Tactical Team
- Special Operations Unit, and
- Selective Traffic Enforcement Unit.
Other ancillary functions are also available, such as:
- Dive Rescue Team,
- Crisis Negotiation Unit, and
- Honor Guard.
- A pension fund that allows officers to retire at 75% of their salary after completing 25 years of service. An additional benefit is a five year DROP program.
- A pre-tax Deferred Compensation program to assist you in saving and planning for retirement.
- A tuition reimbursement plan for continuing college education.
- Choice of Health First Health plans for the employee and dependents as well as Healthways Prime Fitness, which provides access to 8,500 gym locations.
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Vacation Accrual beginning at 104 hours and up to 200 hours annually
- 96 hours paid annual sick leave
- Optional dental insurance plan
- Up to 120 hours per year of comp time accrual
- Take Home Cars
- Department-Issued Weapons