The Melbourne Police Department is committed to hiring only the best! We actively seek individuals who want a challenging career in a professional environment. Please contact Communications Manager Ray Desmarais at Recruiter@mlbfl.org 321-608-6400 or for more information.
The Melbourne Police Department offers a salary competitive with other local law enforcement agencies. The current salary range for Communication Officers is $30,534.40 to $51,313.60 annually ($14.68-$24.67 hourly). Candidates begin at the minimum rate of $14.68 per hour and receive two wage adjustments during the training period. Upon successful completion of the training period, candidates will receive a minimum hourly rate of $16.16 per hour. Salary ranges are evaluated annually and wage adjustments are approved by City Council. The City also provides a 4% shift differential pay for communication officers assigned to evening and midnight shifts as well as incentive pay for specialty teams.
- Health Insurance (no cost for employee coverage)
- Term Life Insurance policy equal to one times annual salary
- Sick Leave that may be used for the employee or an immediate family member
- Vacation Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- 9 Paid Holidays Annually
- Purchase of Dental Insurance
- Purchase of Supplemental and Dependent Life Insurance
- Purchase of Disability Coverage
- Participation in a Pre-Tax Reimbursement Account for medical and dependent care expenses.
- Florida State Retirement System (FRS)
Specialized Training Opportunities
These include Certified Training Officer, Incident Dispatch Team Members, Peer Support Member, and Critical Incident Stress Management Team Member.