Message From the City Manager
It’s hard to believe that another year has passed — time really flies. With the support of Council and through your efforts, a great number of successful projects and initiatives have been completed or launched this year. While it’s exciting to see a newly constructed roadway or the introduction of a new program, it doesn’t happen without tireless hours of planning, inspecting, testing and troubleshooting behind the scenes.
It takes all employees’ contributions in their areas of expertise to keep the city running efficiently. During the past year, I have witnessed this first-hand through participation in ride-a-longs, field days and shadowing. I have also received e-mails and letters of thanks for the work you do on a daily basis.
As the year winds down, I want to recognize and thank all employees for an outstanding year of service to our city, citizens and customers. Both internally and externally, each department has worked hard to provide professional, competent and compassionate service to continue to make Melbourne a great city. At a recent City Council Meeting, the council members specifically recognized the quality of the Melbourne staff as a strength of the city. I couldn’t agree more.
Wishing you all a very happy holiday season,
Penny Wars Challenge Raises More than $1,000 for United Way
The City’s first “Penny Wars Challenge” fundraiser was a huge success, raising a total of $1,046.69 for United Way of Brevard. Pictured above is the winning team of Utility Billing and Collections, who raised $202.47.
2020 HolidaysPlease see the list below for all 2020 City holidays. All City services except those pertaining to Water and Wastewater Plant Operations, Fire, Police, various recreational facilities, and emergency services will be suspended on these dates. To the extent this holiday schedule differs from a bargaining unit contract, the bargaining unit contract prevails for those covered employees.
- New Year’s Day: Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, January 20, 2020
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 25, 2020
- Independence Day: Friday, July 3, 2020
- Labor Day: Monday, September 7, 2020
- Veterans Day (IAFF and LIU employees only): Wednesday, November 11, 2020
- Thanksgiving Day: Thursday, November 26, 2020
- Day after Thanksgiving: Friday, November 27, 2020
- Christmas Eve: Thursday, December 24, 2020
- Christmas Day: Friday, December 25, 2020
Employees Complete Graduate Degree Program
Congratulations to five City employees who recently earned their Master of Public Administration degrees from the Florida Institute of Technology. Pictured from left to right are Robin Rice (Human Resources), Jennifer Spagnoli (Public Works and Utilities), Rebecca Thibert (City Manager’s Office), Doug Dombroski (Community Development) and Shaniese Alexander (Public Works and Utilities).
During the December 10 City Council Meeting, the mayor, council members and city manager congratulated and
thanked employees who recently reached service milestones. Pictured from left to right are Vice Mayor Paul Alfrey, Council Member Tim Thomas, City Manager Shannon Lewis, Luis Lopez (25 years), Council Member Mark LaRusso, Randall Greer (35 years), Cathy Wysor (35 years), Mayor Kathy Meehan, Council Member Julie Sanders, Council Member Yvonne Minus, and Council Member Debbie Thomas.
Congratulations to the following employees on their recent promotions:
- John Barney to Communications Officer II, Police Support Services
- Brandy Collins to Traffic Signal ATMS Coordinator, Traffic Engineering
- Teagan Frawley to Airport Electrical Specialist, Terminal Building and Area
- Ashley Murphy to Communications Officer III, Police Support Services
- David Rentos to Network Administrator, Information Technology
- Joseph Thomas to Fleet Services Supervisor, Fleet Management
- Dwayne Williams to Wastewater Operator B, Water Reclamation
Welcome New Employees!
Pictured from left to right: Darlene Monninger, Police Support Services; Brandon Smock, Parks Maintenance; Cody Denney, Fire Operations; Brandon Veasey, Fire Operations; Cody Boccardi, Fire Operations; Kathleen Augustine, City Clerk; Richard Henriquez, Parks Maintenance; Peter Figueroa, Human Resources; Laura Daugherty, Eau Gallie Civic Center; Gina Liberto, Recreation; Jeffrey Jones Jr., Water Distribution; Olivia Harrington, Police Support Services.