The Melbourne Fire Department has been protecting our community since 1916. First established as the volunteer fire department of two small towns (Eau Gallie and Melbourne), the Melbourne Fire Department has grown over the years to become a full-service professional department it is today, meeting the needs of a city more than 44 square miles in size with more than 77,000 residents.
Major milestones of the Melbourne Fire Department’s creation and history:
The cities of Melbourne and Eau Gallie organize their first volunteer fire departments.
1924 – 1929
Both Melbourne & Eau Gallie build new fire stations and purchase their first motorized fire apparatus. They also reorganized, restructured and became more formal organizations to respond to increased needs of the community.
First paid professional fire fighters added to both departments.
The City of Eau Gallie and the City of Melbourne merge to form one unified city under the name City of Melbourne. The two fire departments merged to form the Melbourne Fire Department.
Volunteer fire fighters were completely replaced by professional paid fire fighters. The International Association of Fire Fighters, Local 1951 was formed. Several new fire stations were constructed and manned.
The Melbourne Fire Department continues to expand and replaces aging apparatus and equipment.
Station 77 is built and additional personnel are hired to staff the station. The addition of the station provided for better coverage for the north end of the City allowing for quicker response to incidents.
The City of Melbourne, along with other municipal fire departments, participated in the First Responder Program. The program provides paramedics that perform advanced life support medical care to critically ill or injured patients. The collaboration between city and county first responders has reduced response times for advanced life support fire units and has provided for timely transport to area hospitals.
Station 74 and Fire Administration relocate to a new facility on Hickory Street.
Station 78 is built, and additional personnel hired to staff the station. The addition of the station provided for better coverage for the south end of the City allowing for quicker response to incidents.
Station 71 is rebuilt at its current location. Fire Administration relocates to Station 71.
A Unified Command Trailer is donated to the City’s fire department and police department. The command trailer is deployed for large scale events in which the fire department and/or police department are involved.
The department restructures its administrative staff, and the addition of a Division Chief of Training is approved.