The City offers exemptions to:
- Veterans of the United States Armed forces who were honorably discharged and the unremarried surviving spouse of such a veteran.
- The spouse of an active duty military service member who has relocated to the City of Melbourne pursuant to a permanent change of station order.
- Individuals who are receiving public assistance as defined in Florida Statute 409.2554.
- Individuals whose household income is below 130 percent of the federal poverty level based on the current year’s federal poverty guidelines.
- Individuals age 65 or older.
- Widows with minor dependents.
A Request for Business Tax Fee Exemption form, which is available at our office, must be completed, signed and submitted with proof of eligibility and a Business Tax Receipt application. A Business Tax Receipt is still required to conduct business and will be issued at no cost once approved.
Charitable, educational and religious institutions may also qualify for an exemption. The Notice of Business Form must be completed and your business or institution must comply with zoning requirements and must be inspected by the Code Compliance Division.
If you think you qualify for an exemption, please contact the business tax office by email Business.Tax.Receipts@mlbfl.org or call (321) 608-7038 to discuss the specific requirements and the amount of the exemption.