- Clean up spills immediately and properly dispose of cleaning materials. Use cat litter, towels or other dry methods to clean up oil and grease.
- Cover fueling stations and design or retrofit facilities for spill containment.
- Properly maintain fleet vehicles to prevent oil, gas, and other discharges from leaking onto pavement where they can be washed into local waterbodies.
- Install and maintain oil/water separators.
Commercial Sites (Restaurants or Retail Stores)
- Sweep up litter and debris from sidewalks, driveways and parking lots, especially around storm drains. Absorb liquid spills with cat litter prior to sweeping.
- Cover and maintain grease storage and dumpsters to avoid leaks. Never pour oil or grease down a storm drain. Recycle grease and oil when possible.
- Report any illegal dumping, trash and debris, foul smells, spills, unusual odors or cloudiness as soon as possible. Call the Stormwater Hotline at (321) 608-7341.
- Divert stormwater away from disturbed or exposed areas of the construction site.
- Install silt fences, vehicle mud-removal areas, vegetative cover, and other sediment and erosion controls and properly maintain them — especially after rainstorms.
- Prevent soil erosion by minimizing disturbed areas during construction projects. Seed and mulch bare areas as soon as possible.
- Install and operate irrigation systems so that the timing and amount of water applied matches water needs. Repair leaks as soon as possible.
- Educate employees in the proper methods of applying fertilizer. Abide by the City’s Fertilizer Ordinance, which bans the use of fertilizers from June 1 to September 30. DO NOT apply fertilizer within 15 feet of any surface waters, including, ponds, streams, watercourses, lakes, canals, or wetlands. The percentage of slow release nitrogen content in any fertilizer used must be at least 50%. Only phosphate-free fertilizer may be used (with certain exceptions).
- Educate employees about Integrated Pest Management methods.
- Blow grass clippings, leaves and yard debris back onto the property. Leaving debris or intentionally blowing the debris into the street is against the law.
- Install a mulching blade on your lawn mower. Keep your mower blades sharp.
- Mow at the highest recommended height for your grass species. This promotes a deep root system.