Melbourne residents enjoy great weather, high-tech employment opportunities, excellent schools, charming downtowns and abundant recreational opportunities. Reasonable housing prices, low traffic, and a strong sense of community make Melbourne one of the best places to live, work and raise a family.
Location, Location, Location
The City of Melbourne lies along the Indian River Lagoon, a vast estuary loved by boaters, anglers and those who just enjoy its quiet beauty. On the other side of the river a portion of the city lies on a barrier island with many beach parks offering even more fun in the sun. Melbourne has an international airport and is located next to a major interstate with easy access to Orlando and the attractions, Kennedy Space Center, and points beyond.
Sunny Days & Blue Skies
Enjoy the benefits of Central Florida’s ideal coastal climate — mild winters and a lush blooming landscape year-round. Melbourne averages 242 sunny days annually with extremely mild winter seasons between 50° - 70° (F).
Exceptional Local Schools
The Brevard Public Schools system is a model of innovation and excellence in preparing young people for success and is one of Florida’s finest school districts. Brevard County is also home to several colleges and universities, including the renowned Florida Institute of Technology and a regional branch of the University of Central Florida.
Jobs in High Tech & More
Melbourne is a hub for high tech and aerospace employers. Global leaders such as Harris, Rockwell Collins, Northrup Grumman, Embraer, GE and more make their home here.
High Tech Rankings (Source: Space Coast Economic Development Commission)
- Brevard County's share of STEM employment was ranked 1st in Florida by the Brookings Institution.
- Milken Institute ranked Brevard County ranks 1st in Florida with most concentrated high-tech economy and 6th in the United States.
- According to the Brookings Institution Brevard county ranks 1st in Florida with 11 patents for every 10,000 workers, and 53rd in the United S.
- According to the TechAmerica Foundation, Brevard county has the 5th most concentrated high-tech workforce in the United States.
- Brevard County ranked 7th highest advanced industry share of total employment in the US by the Brookings Institution.
- Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville is among the top 3 (of 360) metropolitan areas in the United States for concentration of Electrical Engineers and Technicians.
- Florida ranks 4th in the nation in terms of high-tech employment and 3rd for its number of high-tech business locations.
- Florida ranks in 8th place on the Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity.
- Florida ranked 5th on the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council’s “Small Business Policy Index 2013: Ranking the States on Policy Measures and Costs Impacting Small Business and Entrepreneurship”
House Hunters Paradise
Find your dream home in Melbourne! Housing in Melbourne is on average more affordable than in other coastal communities, and the city features every style of neighborhood — from gated subdivision to urban mixed-use — with every type of home – from traditional single-family to trendy apartments to beachside townhouses.
Gateway To Sea & Space
Melbourne is just south of Cape Canaveral — home to the Kennedy Space Center and Port Canaveral. You can watch launches from almost any point in the city, or take the short drive up to the space center to get close to the action. While up there, you can visit Port Canaveral — an active shipping port with daily departures of cruise ships and deep-sea fishing boats.
Arts and Culture
Melbourne’s cultural amenities and art scene includes local musicians and artists in its downtown venues, as well as national and international performers at the King Performing Arts Center. You will find plenty to do away from the office, including one of the nation’s top-rated zoos, museums, art galleries, music and a thriving retail and restaurant scene.
See all the fun recreational activities Play Melbourne Parks and Recreation Provides:
Experience Downtown Melbourne