Animal Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

An animal permit is required for animals (except for domestic dogs and cats), reptiles, or fowl that are kept outside of a residence. An animal permit will not be issued for animals or reptiles regulated by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or any other permitting agency.

A person applying for an animal permit must be the property owner or have permission from the property owner. In addition to any conditions that are made part of an animal permit, the applicant will be responsible for complying with applicable homeowners' association rules and regulations.

After submitting a completed application to the City Clerk’s Office, the Code Compliance Division will inspect the property. After all conditions have been met and a satisfactory inspection has been completed, the City Clerk’s Office will issue an animal permit.

The following guidelines will assist you in preparing a home for your pet:

  • If you are placing a structure (coop, cage, enclosure, etc.) on the property, you must contact the Community Development Department at 321-608-7500 regarding setback requirements. All structures must meet the minimum setback requirements established in the City’s Zoning Code. A setback is the distance that a structure must be placed away from property lines. Setbacks are determined by zoning district, type of lot, and location of structure on the lot.

  • In addition to the setback requirements, a structure that is larger than 100 square feet or higher than six feet may require a building permit.You must contact the Code Compliance Division at 321-608-7915 to determine whether a building permit for an accessory structure will be required.

  • Structures must be in place prior to submitting an animal permit application.The Code Compliance Division inspector will need to see the structure when he/she performs the inspection.

  • The number of animals permitted will be based on the zoning district, lot size, and usable lot area. Permits will not be issued for roosters unless there is something unique about the size or location of the property.

  • Animal feed must be stored in sealed containers.

  • Animals may not be used for commercial purposes.

  • An animal permit application will automatically expire if an inspection has not been conducted by the City within 30 days of receipt of the application.

  • An animal permit is effective for two years from the date of issuance. During that period, the permit may be revoked if the animals are not being taken care of properly, permit conditions are not being met, or the City has received complaints of odor, noise, feces, or animals running at large.

To request an application for an animal permit, send an e-mail to or contact the City Clerk’s Office at (321) 608-7220.