Heating Your Home Safely
Heating is the second leading cause of home fires. As the temperature falls this week, consider the following safety tips to keep your home both warm and safe:
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container, and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home and any nearby buildings.
Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
For more tips, see this video from the U.S. Fire Administration.