Fire Prevention Tips for RVs, Motor Homes and Campers
There are several places in motor homes, campers and recreational vehicles where fires can start. The Melbourne Fire Department recommends our residents and visitors follow these fire prevention tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to stay safe:
- Install smoke alarms and regularly test them to be sure they are working.
- Make sure windows open easily and practice your fire escape plan, which should include two ways out.
- Stay in the kitchen while you cook. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
- Only use one heat-producing appliance plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time. Major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet.
- Check refrigerators, furnaces, ovens and stovetops that use propane for leaks. Keep an updated gas leak detector on board. Have your propane system inspected to make sure it is working properly.
- Do not leave camping heaters and lanterns on while sleeping
- Have your vehicle serviced by a qualified mechanic.
- Keep a portable fire extinguisher on board.
- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide is a gas that you cannot see or smell. It can result from leaks in the exhaust, improper use of appliances or can come from another vehicle parked nearby. If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, or if you experience the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, fatigue, confusion, dizziness, nausea or seizures, move to a fresh air location right away.
- Before setting up a campfire, make sure it is allowed where you are camping. If campfires are allowed, they need to be at least 25 feet away from anything that can burn. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving your site and have a means to extinguish the fire nearby.
For more information, please see the NFPA's safety tip sheet for motor homes, campers and recreational vehicles.
These tips were reproduced from NFPA’s website, www.nfpa.org/publiceducation. ©NFPA.