Melbourne Fire Department everyone residents to “Look. Listen. Learn.” during National Fire Prevention Week
The Melbourne Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere,” which aims to inform people about three basic but essential steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having a fire––and how to escape safely in the event of one:
- Look for places where fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.
- Listen for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could have only minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Go to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance from the home and where everyone should know to meet.
- Learn two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
More information about the annual Fire Prevention Week campaign is available on the National Fire Prevention Association’s Fire Prevention Week website.
- Check our website each day during Fire Prevention Week for a new fire safety tip. Or you can follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Get more information about the annual campaign on the National Fire Prevention Association’s Fire Prevention Week website.
- For fire prevention and safety tips, see the Prepare, Prevent & Practice page on the City of Melbourne website.
- You can also learn more fire prevention tips at the Melbourne Fire Department’s annual “Fire Truck Trick or Treat” event at Station 74, 1500 Hickory St., on October 27, noon- 3 p.m. Visit the event calendar for more information about the event.