Fire Prevention Week Tips: Kitchen Safety
Post Date:10/09/2018 8:51 AM
House fires often start in the kitchen. The following safety tips will help you prevent a kitchen fire:
- Never leave anything on your stove unattended. Don’t put anything combustible – napkins, paper, bags of food, etc. – on your stove, even if the heating elements are not in use. Do not store extra pans or combustibles in the oven.
- A house fire started in the City of Melbourne when homeowners left a bag of dog food on their stove. The family dog jumped up and while pawing at the bag one of the knobs on the stove turned on, which heated up the burner and set the bag on fire, which eventually caused severe damage to the kitchen and living room.
- When cooking, have a frying pan lid close by so if a fire starts you can smother it with the lid. NEVER throw water on a grease fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
About Fire Prevention Week:
National Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 8 – 14, 2017.
- Check this page each day during Fire Prevention Week for a new fire safety tip. Or you can follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Get more information about the annual campaign on the National Fire Prevention Association’s Fire Prevention Week website.
- For fire prevention and safety tips, see the Prepare, Prevent & Practice page on the City of Melbourne website.