Fire Prevention Week Tips: Safely Use Candles, Matches & Lighters
Be especially careful with candles, lighters and matches to prevent these small open flames from igniting a fire in your home:
- Do not allow children to light candles, especially in their bedrooms.
- Consider using only lighters with child-resistant features.
- Never leave a candle unattended.
- Keep pets away from candles.
More tips from National Fire Prevention Association:
- On average, 25 home candle fires are reported each day. Read more about candle safety.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
- Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles!
- Blow out all candles before you leave a room or go to bed!
Information reproduced from NFPA’s website, www.nfpa.org/publiceducation. © NFPA