City of Melbourne
Rain Barrel Rebate Program
The City of Melbourne is offering a limited rain barrel rebate program on a first-come, first-served basis. Rebates are available until budgeted rebate funds are depleted or until September 30, 2014, whichever comes first. The number of rebates available depends on that year's budgeted funding level. This program is being offered as a means to conserve water and reduce the amount of rain water entering into and carrying pollutants into the stormwater system.
By installing a rain barrel, rainwater that flows off your rooftop is captured and stored. The harvested rainwater can be used immediately or stored for later use to water your lawn and landscaped areas, fill ponds or fountains, and used to wash cars. This reduction in water use translates into cost savings for water consumers and also greatly benefits the environment. This rainwater is harvested for beneficial use that would have otherwise entered the stormwater system, carrying pollutants from yards and roads, such as pet waste, fertilizers, pesticides, motor oil, etc., before entering the Indian River Lagoon or other water bodies. The decline of the Indian River Lagoon from these pollutants is reflected in dying sea grass, algae blooms and sick and dying wildlife.
One $50 rebate is provided per Melbourne water customer for purchasing and installing a rain barrel that holds at least 50 gallons of water.
Requirements and Guidelines
The following conditions must be met in order to receive your
- To be eligible for a rebate, you must reside in the city limits of the City of Melbourne and have a water account for the property where the installation of the qualifying rain barrel has occurred that is in your name and is in good standing. Any applicant with a past due balance of more than 30 days will have the rebate amount applied to their past due utility balance. The program is for residential customers only. Commercial requests are not eligible.
- Only one rebate will be provided per account or per address with the same resident.
- The original sales receipt must be dated between October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2014. All rebates are subject to availability of funds. Rebates will be processed in the order they are received and are on a first-come, first-served basis. Once funds are depleted, rebates are no longer available for the fiscal year and any applications received will be returned to the applicant.
- 'Customers must purchase and install a rain barrel that holds a minimum of 50 gallons of water. The rain barrel must be a new, finished rain barrel sold solely for the purpose of collecting rain water. The customer must complete a rebate application form and mail it to the Environmental Community Outreach (ECO) Division. The application must also include the customer's ORIGINAL sales receipt.
- The rain barrel will be used for non-potable, outdoor uses only. It must be securely covered and/or screened to restrict access by children, pets, rodents and insects.
- Rebate application packets are available by calling the ECO Division at (321) 608-5080 or online (www.melbourneflorida.org/watercon).
- Completed rebate application and supporting documentation must be submitted to:
City of Melbourne
Toilet Rebate Program
2885 Harper Road
Melbourne, FL 32904
- It is the customer's responsibility to ensure proper installation.
- Eligible participants will be mailed a check. If the purchase price, not including tax, is less than the rebate amount, the rebate will be for the purchase price amount only. The purchase price does not include installation, accessories or other related items.
- By participating in the Melbourne Rain Barrel Rebate Program, the customer agrees to an installation verification visit if one is scheduled by the ECO Manager or designee, and may be asked to respond to a follow-up survey conducted by City of Melbourne staff.