Melbourne is committed to improving its water, wastewater, stormwater, and reclaimed water infrastructure so they conserve and protect our water resources. In this regard, the City will continue to maintain and upgrade its water production and water reclamation facilities with new technologies as they become available as well as the transportation methods throughout the water distribution area. The City's capital improvement plan for fiscal years 2014-2018 calls for $70,169,585 of improvements to the system. This plan will provide the system with adequate reserve capacity for added growth in future customer connections. Planned capital improvement project highlights are presented below:
- Update the water system master plan, master planning for City reclaimed water distribution system, master planning for City's water production and transmission facilities.
- Various lift station renovations and new lift stations.
- Force main replacements such as 2", 4", and 6" water lines that are over 30 years old and will improve fire flow and water quality. Construction should begin in fiscal year (FY) 2014 utilizing $750,000 each year and will continue until FY 2018.
- Rehabilitate various sanitary sewer manholes, stormwater pipes, and sewer lines.
- Cured-in-place pipelining (CIPP) $275,000 per year to improve drainage.
- New stormwater pipe in the Parkway Drive ditch traveling east to west to be completed in five phases, one per year.
- Continue replacing stormwater pipe on University Boulevard from Leonard Weaver Boulevard to Colbert Circle from FY 2015 until 2018.
- New main water production laboratory in FY 2014.
- Complete the stormwater pipe in the Paradise Boulevard ditch in FY 2015.
- Facility improvement at Grant Street Water Reclamation Facility to include flow equalization, modern grit handling equipment, and the rehabilitation of the influent station, headworks facility, and primary clarifier. The planning should start in FY 2015 and construction should begin in FY 2017.
- Construct a reclaimed water main on Florida Avenue. The planning should start in FY 2016 and construction should start in FY 2017.
- Construct additional water system storage facilities for water production. The planning should start in FY 2016 and construction should start FY 2017.
- Phase II of the reuse expansions at Grant Street Water Reclamation Facility to include 2 million gallons per day (MGD) of filtration and chlorination and a 2 MGD reuse storage tank. The planning should start in FY 2016 and the construction should start in FY 2018.
- Convert the US Highway 192 median irrigation to reclaimed water. The planning and construction should start in FY 2017.
- Construct a reclaimed water main on Aurora Road / Croton Road / Lake Washington Road. The planning should start in FY 2017 and construction should start in FY 2018.
- Construct an additional 2 MG tank at the Canova Booster Station. The planning should start in FY 2017 and the construction should start FY 2018.
- Construct a reclaimed water main on Wickham Road from NASA Boulevard to Harper Road. The planning and construction should start in FY 2018.
- Construct a reclaimed water main on Parkway Drive from Stewart Road to Croton Road. The planning should start in FY 2018.