Those seeking employment as a firefighter must meet minimum qualifications for certification as defined by Florida Statutes 633.34-633.35. In general, applicants must meet other requirements including:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent and valid Florida driver's license.
- Be in good physical condition and able to participate in physical activities without restriction.
- Complete minimum standards training course and state certificate exam.
- State-certified at least EMT level-paramedic preferred.
For more information, call (321) 608-6000.
Fire Training Center
The Melbourne Fire Training Center is a critical part of the Fire Department. The Center is located at 1800 Hughes Road. The Training Center is equipped with a classroom and a burn tower which are used throughout the year for continuing education and training.
Training sessions provided by training officers include search and rescue, vehicle extrication, pump operator training, ladders, tools and ropes, CPR, advanced airway training, emergency vehicle driving and other related classes.