Community Residential Homes
Community Residential Homes

Community Residential Homes














Community Residential Homes

The City of Melbourne provides information for persons who are considering operation of a "community residential home," as defined by state law.  The links below provide access to sections of Florida State Statutes that apply to these homes.  The City of Melbourne can assist potential home operators in gaining compliance with state law and with local regulations that must be observed before a home can be legally operated. 

Community residential homes provide full congregate care for their clients while offering a homelike setting that encourages independence.  Examples of persons utilizing this service include:

Note Frail elder      FSS 429.65, 429.04
Note Physically disabled/handicapped person    FSS 760.22 ( 7 ) ( a )
Note Developmentally disabled person FSS 393.063
Note Non-dangerous mentally ill person FSS 394.455 ( 19 )
Note Child in need of services FSS 39.01( 14 ), 984.03 ( 9 ) or (12), 985.03

Additional information regarding licensing requirements from each of the above sponsoring agencies is available by accessing

Six or fewer residents may be housed in a single-family building within a residential zoned area (non-commercial).  Greater than six residents shall be located in a multi-family building located within a commercially zoned area. 

Steps to take:
1.  Contact the Planning & Economic Development Department to ensure zoning of the proposed address is appropriate for the intended use. (608-7500)
2. If greater than six residents will be housed in the building, a site plan will have to be reviewed by the Engineering Department (608-7300)
3. Housing an unrelated person changes the use of a single-family residence to a “Board and Care Facility” use.  This will require a building permit (which shall be obtained by a State licensed general contractor after review and approval of submitted plans) from the Code Compliance Division. (608-7905)
4. A Business Tax Receipt will be required and is obtained from the Revenue Department.  (608-7031)
5. Licensure by the sponsoring agency (see above list under “Community Residential Homes”) is required.

Some of the modifications to convert a single-family residence to a “Residential Board & Care Facility”  (Small facility, sixteen residents, or fewer) include:

1.  The structure shall be protected throughout by an approved, automatic fire sprinkler system using  quick response or residential sprinklers.
2. The fire sprinkler system is required to have electrical supervision (Central station monitoring).
3. A fire alarm system shall be installed, including smoke detectors and manual pull boxes.
4. Restrooms shall comply with  ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements.
5. Doors shall be a minimum 32 inches clear width and allow for emergency exiting of clients confined in wheelchairs or beds.

PLEASE NOTE: Operation of an Assisted Living Facility without first obtaining a license is a second degree felony.  Each day of continued operation is a separate offense.



  Return to Melbourne Home Page