Fire Prevention Week Tips: Electrical Safety
Post Date:10/09/2018 10:30 AM
Follow these tips to prevent an electrical fire in your home:
- Extension cords should not be used in place of permanent wiring.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time. Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- If you cannot avoid using a number of power cords, be sure to use power strips with circuit breakers.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- Do not overlook tripped circuit breakers, as they may indicate a dangerous situation.
- Don’t run cords under couches or furniture that can crush and ultimately fray the cords over time.
About Fire Prevention Week:
National Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 8 – 14, 2017.
- Check this page each day during Fire Prevention Week for a new fire safety tip. Or you can follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Get more information about the annual campaign on the National Fire Prevention Association’s Fire Prevention Week website.
- For fire prevention and safety tips, see the Prepare, Prevent & Practice page on the City of Melbourne website.